This core theme includes:
- Providing improved farm management and intensification practices that increase resource use efficiency and economic returns at the farm level and meet the goals of low environmental footprint alongside enhanced food security under current and future climate and resource availability;
- Understanding recent yield trends in Europe, taking into account changes in costs and prices and research investments as well as changes in environment, management and genotypes;
- Benchmarking efficiencies of resource use (water, land, nitrogen, energy) across Europe under diverse Genotype x Environment (including climate) x Management combinations and assessing total factor productivity;
- Integrated crop health management and integrated animal health management in the context of climate change;
- Low input, higher efficiency seeds and breeds i.e. producing more with less inputs;
- Knowledge-based IT innovations in agriculture;
- Improved understanding and control of soil functioning and biotic interactions at field to landscape scales.