This core theme includes:
- Adaptation options to climate change and increased climatic variability throughout the whole food chain, including market repercussions;
- Regional strategies to adapt production systems to cope with climate change;
- Adapting seeds and breeds through conventional and modern breeding and biotechnology to new combinations of environment and management: e.g. abiotic stress, elevated CO2 (biotechnology here is used in a broad sense, referring to marker-assisted selection, genomic selection and genetic modification methods);
- Systems of climate change-sensitive monitoring of pests and diseases and developing climate-informed crop and animal protection;
- Strategic adaptation to climate change through improved land management and land use change;
- Adaptive water management in agriculture, watershed management, flood management, irrigation technologies, and water re-use;
- Adapting markets, institutions and insurance mechanisms to increased climatic variability and climate change.